Thursday, April 12, 2007

Librarian Boulevard Book Club

This weekend I finished All Quiet On the Western Front. Let me give you a little backstory on this selection. When I told my neighbor (Smashler) on Librarian Boulevard that I was going to read War and Peace she said she would read it if I did. As we talked about classic novels, she said she always wanted to read All Quiet On the Western Front. I told her I would read it. This is on the one hand. On the other hand is the fact that I never read any of my assignments in school and now I have a patron who is working his way through the Modern Library list of 100 Best Novels of the 20th Century that the NYTimes published in 1998. David has been working through the list for a couple of years and he is just a regular guy. We help him with related reference questions such as plot outlines, character lists, definitions of words etc. Whenever he approaches with a new book I feel like I want to be better read. It's not that I don't read quite a bit now. Like many of my co-workers, I find the answer to the simple question, "what are you reading now?" to be a little complex. Each month I have an adult book discussion book to read and Library Journal has been sending me a book a month to review. The book I read at work at lunch and the book I read before bed are not necessarily the same book. Plus, I usually have a non-fiction book. Despite these many books, I believe I can squeeze one more in and that's where the Librarian Boulevard Book Club fits in. Smashler and I, and anyone else who wants to participate, are going to read various "major" books we never have. I don't know what the next book will be as I have to wait until she finishes War and Peace otherwise I'll be too many books ahead. Any suggestions/votes?

1 comment:

Sallyb said...

Hi Info Babe.
I'm cracking up over your description of all the books that you have going on simultaneously. There was a time when I could never think of doing that and now.....well, it's what librarians do, isn't it?
I have a book on CD going in my car all the time. It's the only way I can stay sane and calm on the road. Speaking of The Road, I just finished that in my car. I didn't think it would appeal to me but the library director recommended it so....a phenomenal book - really.
Now I'm listening to Black Swan Green. The reader has a delightful British accent - reminiscent of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime.
On my ipod - 3 cheers for downloadable books - I'm just finishing Scott Turow's Ordinary Heroes. I'm fascinated with all things relating to WW II.
By my bed is Half of a Yellow Sun and here at work I'm just browsing Love in Black and White (because Bill Cohen must have been a better politician than a writer) and his wife's experiences are much more interesting. Maybe I'll read her book.
Anyway, great idea about a blogger book discussion. Let me think on it. Not sure I can fit another title into my day!
www.readaroundtheworld-sallyb.blogspot.com