Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Librarian to the Highest Bidder

Yesterday I had my "lunch with a librarian" date with Harry to discuss Everything is Illuminated (book and movie). We had a nice time. I'm glad we got this over with, not because I was dreading lunch, but because books are starting to pile up again. On Saturday I arrived at work to find a DHL envelope on my desk indicating an assignment from LJ. Curiously, the due date on the enclosed form letter was July 13. Suspecting an error I pulled the shipping sheet out of the front pocket and found it dated 6/28/07. Had DHL lost the package or had someone at LJ meant to write July 23 on the letter? I immediately dashed off an email to my editor. Before tackling this new book I still needed to finish my book discussion book by Wednesday and I was 300 pages shy and I haven't cracked the spine on In Cold Blood for the Librarian Boulevard Book Discussion Blog. Turns out, DHL did lose the book but Wilda is giving me until the 23rd. On the plus side, I reviewed the author's first novel and found it highly readable so if this second novel is as good as the first, I should be able to steam through it. The cool part is that the publicity that accompanied the advanced reader's copy includes my blurb about the first book, which also made it to the paperback. So...Sacco and Vanzetti Must Die! on Wednesday, Raymond Khoury's second novel (The Sanctuary) due Monday, start In Cold Blood, then A French Country Murder for next month's book discussion.

2 comments:

Sallyb said...

Yikes girl, how do you do it??? You need to get yourself an mp3 player (if you haven't already, I'd be surprised) and start listening as you weed.
Glad to hear Khoury has a new book out. I'd love to review for LJ but getting behind is exactly what I'd be afraid of.

Infobabe said...

I have a 30 GB Creative Zen in green. I love it but I don't tend to do books. I downloaded Al Franken's The Truth (with Joke's) for the flight to Mexico, but couldn't get into it, surprisingly. I went back to my favorite airplane-listen James Gleick's Faster, which I had burned from my CDs. I will admit that I have downloaded and listened to a book called, "How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less." I don't tune out when I weed. If I weed during hours, I am fully accessible to patrons, and they find me!