Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Return to the Blog

I noticed that the date on my previous post was March. What happened to April? We've been plowing through the retrospective RFID conversion project. Everyone has been in good spirits about it and I've been doing some hard labor. The short goal is finish Youth Services before school lets out for the summer. I think we are on track.

Mid-April I went to WDW to celebrate my birthday. Now officially I have to say, "I'm in my 40s, not just I'm 40." That's okay, the 40s are better. Disney was fun, as usual, and I had a birthday button. I'll be heading back up in a couple of weeks to stay at the Wilderness Lodge with a couple of friends in a room that has bunk beds. How fun is that?! I already called top bunk.

I always joke that I don't seem to attend meetings or training unless I'm presenting; on Friday I was a presenter on a panel at a library conference. This was an interesting experience for me because I have not been very involved in the local library network so this was the first time I met certain people in that organization. My co-panelists on Professional Development were the director of the regional library network appropriate to our area of the state and the dean of library services (or whatever the appropriate title is) of the local university. I believe I was invited to participate because of the blog I write to promote the library system's Professional Collection. In any event, I was in impressive company. Our audience was attentive. The session was very informal. I hope to receive a little feedback from the event organizer. My favorite part was that one of the attendees in my session was a woman who had written an article some years back in Reference Librarian that, going through back issues, I recently found very useful. I noticed that she was right in front of me so I stopped and commented on her article. She said it made her day. My next favorite part is that now the conference is over and I don't have to ruminate over it; I can go back to my other tasks.

No comments: