Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Musical Chairs with Books

I have been playing literary musical chairs for a couple of weeks. That is to say, reading as quickly as possible all of the books that are required of me or that I want to read because I never know when I am going to find a DHL envelope on my chair containing a book to review from Library Journal. This week the music finally stopped. I put The Fountainhead on hiatus to read Giraffe: A Novel for my adult book discussion for today's session. When I was ready to return to Rand, sure enough, DHL had delivered. The turnaround time on reading and submitting reviews is 12 days. Fortunately, my editor would have a great career as readers' advisory librarian because the books she sends me are books I would otherwise read. This newest book is the second book in a trilogy and it turns out I read the first book when it came out 10 years ago. For a while I was receiving a book to review each month. That pace was a little hectic. It has been fun, though. My reviews are starting to make it to book jacket covers. Of course, my name isn't there, but I know that "...-Library Journal" means me. When I go to Mexico next month, I'm bringing a stack of books just for me (I emailed my editor to tell her...she recommended a book).

2 comments:

Sallyb said...

Oh, that is so neat. Seeing Library Journal's review and knowing that it's you. Fantastic! Thought you'd like to know that I've alluded to your 2 upcoming book discussions on BookLetters, the library's latest way to let people know what's happening. I'm editing the newsletters on new audios and on book discussions.

Infobabe said...

My mother is starting a little collection. I can't imagine how she would be if I wrote the books, themselves. Thanks for the mentions about the books discussions. I have a small but loyal group and then I seem to gain and lose random participants all throughout the year.